Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Vicksburg's Lost Masonic Temple

During the early 20th century, most American cities of any size or commercial prominence had a Masonic Temple or Lodge. Often it was a well-built building in the commercial area, typically dating from the late-1800s or early 1900s. The Masons must have been fabulously wealthy to be able to buy land and erect substantial brick buildings in major cities. I sometimes wondered if Vicksburg had a lodge, and by pure chance, found some photographs in the Library of Congress' holdings.
This rather severe three-floor building is the former Masonic Temple, at the corner of Grove and Washington Streets. The view is looking uphill to the east along Grove Street. This building and the small shops to the left were razed sometime before 1985, and the grassy lot now serves the weekly farmers' market. The present Highway 61 Coffeehouse and Attic Gallery are just off the frame to the right, where the cars are pointing. The metadata from Library of Congress does not provide a specific date other than post-1933. My guess from the cars is mid-1970s.
This is the view of the rear. The windows are broken out, so it must have been abandoned at the time the photograph was taken. My friend from Mississippi Department of Archives and History checked and found an undated article from the Vicksburg Sunday Post, apparently from the 1970s with a photo of the building and a caption noting that it had recently "been taken by Urban Renewal" and demolished. The article was mostly about the history of the lodge and the contents of  in its cornerstone. The urban renewal craze of the late-1970s demolished many historic buildings in Vicksburg.
This is a photograph from a 1931 paper (James, P.E. 1931. Vicksburg: A Study in Urban Geography, Geographical Review, Vol. 21, No. 2 (Apr., 1931), pp. 234-243). The Temple is the building with a light roof in the middle left. Note the gas tank in the middle of the photograph near the river.
This is postcard 90864-01-postcard_View North from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. The temple is the tall building in the right center. The Yazoo Canal is in flood, and I wonder if this was taken during the 1927 flood?
This is the grassy field where the buildings once stood. They were already gone when I moved to town in 1985. The limestone block wall in the center may be Civil-War era. The building on the right received a major renovation and conversion into a BBQ restaurant. It operated for only a few months (maybe a couple of years?), and the building is for sale.
The Reverend Dennis painted the Masonic symbol in several places on Margaret's Gro on North Washington Street. He spent two decades decorating the old grocery store as a "Bible Temple to God." The Reverend passed away a few years ago, and his Temple is crumbling away.

If anyone can add any information about the Vicksburg Masonic Temple, please add to the comments. Based on a quick search, I found two present lodges. I do not know how active they are.
1. Masonic Temple, W.G. Paxton Lodge #559; and
2. William H. Stevens Lodge #121, F&AM Masonic Lodge in Vicksburg, MS.

10 comments:

Suzassippi said...

In the 1931 photo, is that the Vicksburg gasometer, center of photo, next to the canal?

Kodachromeguy said...

YES, you are absolutely right. I did not pay attention until you brought it to my attention. The bottom of the gasometer is a 16-sided shed now used by City of Vicksburg trucks. Preservation in Mississippi showed an aerial photograph in 2014:
http://misspreservation.com/2014/09/23/the-last-of-the-mississippi-gasometers/vicksburg-gas-light-works-vicksburg-ms/

Thomas Rosell said...

Good Catch! That is a great photograph of those gasometers.

HOW TO JOIN THE CHURCH OF DEVIL ILLUMINATI said...

I want to give testimony of my life, how my life changed totally from poor to rich, I want to thank the Lord Grand Master of illuminati, for accepting me in to the illuminati brotherhood, I have try so many times to join the illuminati, but I was scammed but I never give up, because if you give up in life, life will give up on you, I still keep on trying because I believe I will join the illuminati and become successful in life, when i met the right person I was totally initiated to the illuminati brotherhood, I was given so many benefits as a new member.
Below are the benefits given to me as a new member
1 CASH OF $2,000,000.00 2 CAR OF MY CHOICE 3 HOUSE OF MY CHOICE 4 INTERNATIONAL VISA TO TRAVEL TO ANY COUNTRIES IN THE WORLDS 5 RING OF PROTECTION TO PROTECT MY SELF AND MY FAMILY the illuminati brotherhood is real if you met the right person you will join, so if you want a change in your life, you have to join the illuminati brotherhood and become successful in all areas in your life, if you want to be rich, powerful, protected, famous you have to contact the illuminati brotherhood official email: churchofdevil666@gmail.com you can visit the illuminati brotherhod website: http://churchofdevil666.wordpress.com or call/text +1 (301) 969 2020 or WhatsApp +1 (508) 819 2672 on how to join the illuminati brotherhood, you have to know this it is not all about money to join, to join the illuminati brotherhood it is free, if you follow the instruction you will join successful without having any difficult.

agent william said...

It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
contact : illuminati666officialcult@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(706)804-2665 EL
IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
ORGANIZATION

Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

Whatsapp: +1(706)804-2665
Email : illuminati666officialcult@gmail.com

BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
THANKS...

Calos said...

Welcome to illuminati brotherhood where you can become rich famous and popular and your life story we be change totally. my name is Calos I am here to share my testimony on how I join the great brotherhood Illuminati and my life story was change immediately . I was very poor no job and I has no money to even feed and take care of my family I was confuse in life I don’t know what to do I try all my possible best to get money but no one work out for me each day I share tears, I was just looking out my family no money to take care of them until one day I decided to join the great Illuminati , I come across them in the internet I never believe I said let me try I email them.all what they said we happen in my life just started it was like a dream to me they really change my story totally . They give me the sum of $1,000,000 and many thing. through the Illuminati I was able to become rich, and have many industry on my own and become famous and popular in my country, today me and my family is living happily and I am the most happiest man here is the opportunity for you to join the Illuminati and become rich and famous in life and be like other people and your life we be change totally. If you are interested in joining the great brotherhood Illuminati contact this number call +2347031524375 or WhatsApp the same number +2347031524375 or email illuminatiworldofsociety1@gmail.com

john hamond said...

HOW I JOINED THE ALMIGHTY ILLUMINATI AND BECAME A BILLIONAIRE IN LIFE WITHOUT PAYING ANY MONEY

As the story goes money is every thing in life.
I am john hamond by name, am from a poor family that i fund very hard to feed my family this is how i become riches money rules the world’ brothers who says money isn’t sweet will remain poor for life. I want to tell all the world how I suffered before I became a millionaire via the help of the illuminati. I came out from a very poor family and I needed to make it in life so a man I knew here in US promised to help me he gave me an email which I emailed and it says its the illuminati email so I told them I want to become a member so that I can become rich and protected. They did accept my application and then I was initiated after my initiation, I wan given first money of $2,000,000.00 USDollars and on monthly basis am now been paid $20,000.00 USDollars for working for the hood. Please are you tired of poverty and you want to change your status or you are already wealthy and you need protection of life, wealth, properties and family members? Please come join the illuminati now and get all you want. Please note that joining is totally free of charge you don’t pay a dine to become a member. To become a member email us directly on (iluminatihood123@gmail.com)come one come all.

Kodachromeguy said...

Dear Urban Decay Readers,
I have not deleted the spam messages above about joining the illuminati because they make for rather amusing reading. They may have been written by the same person. Regardless, beware.

Mark Carlos said...

Hello, are you interested in joining the great Illuminati brotherhood where you can become rich ,famous, powers, and wealth, for the rest of your life ? Benefit given to new members who join the Illuminati brotherhood $2,000,000 into your bank account...... $800,000 weekly salary.........
A car value at $7.500,00.......
Award contract worth $600,000,00.......A House in any country of your own choice. And a free visa to your dream country. Total lifestyle changes.... if you are interested contact agent Allen on Whats-app for better information's +1(518)293-0860......

Unknown said...

Found this just recently. A Representative badge from the Grand Lodge K of P Vicksburg Miss. May 12 1908